Sunday, 6 October 2013

What a Hoot Winter Bloomers.

Those readers of a nervous disposition look away now....



Some of you may recall my threatening to make a pair of these as part of my contribution to the Fall Essential Sew Along 2013.....

75 cents well spent back in 1970 if you ask me
....................... Well I Have!
These sturdy little beauties only took about half an hour to make up and as far as I am concerned it was a half hour well spent.

functional rather than slinky
 Now I will be the first to admit that these are not the number one choice in lingerie to wear if you are looking for an evening of sultry seduction neither are they what you might want to be caught wearing if you happen to be unlucky enough to be the subject of an unforeseen emergency hospital admission...BUT! I am greatly impressed by them.And what is it that impresses me most I feel you all clamouring to enquire...comfort,pure unadulterated comfort.

don't mention the Rump Droop
 Due to the fact that I regarded making these as a bit of a joke and some light relief to break the monotony of an otherwise relatively mundane week end I just used some rather loud leftover jersey fabric that I had kicking about.It was too big a piece to get rid of or use for rag rugs but not big enough,seemingly to make anything worthwhile out of.I had just enough to cut these out though.I got a bit muddled up at first with the gussett instructions in the leaflet but abandoned the suggested method and used the one I normally use when making knickers.Fairly straightforward otherwise,

lots of flexibility and room for movement!
All chortling and hilarity aside though I am really pleased I made these.They would be fine to use as nightwear with a t-shirt type of top for one thing.Then I had this great inspiration to try wearing them under a pair of trousers I had made ages ago that score a particularly high rating on my personal Itch Factor Scale (a good 8 out of 10 in this instance).These trousers have lain unworn ever since being made because they are to me just so itchy which is a pity as they are a pretty colour and I made them so well that the fit is just about perfect...they just make me itch far too much.However,with these little lovelies on the itch factor is reduced considerably... so result!
No more unpleasant winter draughts on frosty mornings when bending over for me as I have several more pairs of these planned to make up in the coming weeks!

19 comments:

  1. Talk about serendipity! I was grumbling this week about the breezes filling up my skirts and told my boyfriend I needed some tap pants/ bloomers, and here you come with a pattern and inspiration! I love these, especially the print... it's such fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      if you can't find a pattern then let me know....you will not be disappointed with these!

      Delete
  2. Ah those ladies in bygone times knew a thing or two about keeping out the drafts! What a fun post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      yes I have a draught free winter ahead of me now.

      Delete
  3. I was just thinking these would be perfect under itchy items! I love them!! They look perfect for keeping chilly drafts at bay and the fabric you used is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these are great. I would definitely wear them once the snow makes an appearance. Loving the final photo as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!I'm not waiting for the snow to appear!

      Delete
  5. So funny! Just love your sassy sense of fun with this make - and practical to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...well they worked out better than I thought they ever would and it is nice to know that while they are acutely embarrassing they are also wearable!

      Delete
  6. This really made me giggle. I also hate the itch factor and these sound like a perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased it made you laugh! They are rather ridiculous but I like them!

      Delete
  7. Those are cute - way better than my winter underwear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna...old ladies like myself know how to live life on the edge!!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your amusing post, after a stressful day at work, it really made me smile. I like them, the fabric is just the job.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun (and practical)! And you have the figure of a 20 year-old!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would totally wear them under a sundress for warmth and modesty in the fall, love the print too! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This morning I was seriously considering looking into making "Lady Boxers"! These are too perfect! Oh, I found you by Googling the Vintage Simplicity 4530 blouse. :o)

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yoo-hoo, where are you? I am imagining a lady in flowered petti pants dancing in the garden at midnight and sleeping the day away. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete