Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Signs of Hope

Out on my walk today I saw the following harbingers of Spring which,after our little (thankfully) bit of snow the other day can't come too soon as far as I am concerned although I did go past someone mowing their lawn this afternoon which considering the weather in general at the moment is perhaps being a trifle over eager.

Anyway,I came across Catkins full out....

Just what you need for your Enid Blyton style nature table

Some of the first Snowdrops....

Snowdrops aka February Fair Maids.These seem to be out quite early.In my garden which  is just the other side of the wall where these are growing they are only just poking up out of the soil

 .....and my first sighting of lambs....
Now you have to work with me on this one as it was a VERY LARGE field and they were at the furthest end possible.The really small white dots ARE lambs...trust me.
There always comes a point towards the end of the year when you look out at the sea of mud and decaying vegetation that is supposed to be your garden and you can't imagine it ever being Spring or there being flowers in abundance but I suppose days like today offer just a little bit of hope.

13 comments:

  1. Spring already? I am jealous as we are packed under a couple of feet of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I don't think Spring just yet in all honesty.The early lambs are a product of Agri-business versus traditional farming practice and the Hazel catkins and the Snowdrops both like moisture so i assume they benefited from all of our rain last year!I don't envy you all of your snow that's for sure !!

      Delete
  2. Lambs and snowdrops! I so wish for spring to get here, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't believe this: We just had five days of below-freezing temperatures! I guess all of our winter residents will be booking flights to your land of flowers and lambikins. Hope you get to enjoy this for a while, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well it has been snowing here all day and more snow forecast over the week end so no Spring yet as such!!

      Delete
  4. Love the catkins. I am thinking we are receeding back into winter to day though as I watch snow falling! Are you still up for meeting up one day, maybe when it really is spring? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debbie that would be really nice.More snow today so you're right about falling back into winter!!

      Delete
  5. I've just came back from a three week visit to family the US south-west where it was sunny and very dry to UK winds, fog and much rain- no snowdrops or lambs around Brighton yet. But hopefully we are only a few weeks behind you, your photos make me hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    I’ve nominated you for a Reader Appreciation Award, and hope you will accept.

    Your blog has been so interesting and inspirational, literally & figuratively helping me in sew many ways. Your beautiful crocheted shawls inspired me to crochet a lovely winter hat, and for it I thank you!

    Rules, etc., are posted here.
    http://curlsnskirls.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/last-october/

    From a very grateful reader,
    D’ellis at CurlsnSkirls
    http://curlsnskirls.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much D'ellis for your nomination it really is very kind of you to think of me.I am so pleased too that you enjoy my paltry writings and that you have been inspired to crochet something for yourself too...well done! have you another crochet project lined up?
      I have been very remiss yet again about keeping the blog up to date so I shall have to get myself into gear and do something now.
      Thank you again for your nomination and for all of your kind comments in the past!
      xx

      Delete